Macy, R.C., New York
Medford Distillery and Refining Company|
Macy's was founded in 1851 by Rowland Hussey Macy as a dry goods store in downtown Haverhill, Massachusetts. In 1858, Macy moved to New York City and founded a new store named R.H. Macy & Company on the corner of 14th Street and 6th Avenue, which later moved to 18th Street and Broadway on the "Ladies' Mile", the 19th century elite shopping district, where it remained for nearly 40 years.
In 1896, Macy's was acquired by Isidor Straus and his brother Nathan, who had previously sold merchandise in the store. In 1902 the flagship store moved slightly uptown to Herald Square at 34th Street and Broadway. Although the store initially consisted of just one building, it expanded through new construction and merging, eventually occupying the entire block bounded by 7th Avenue on the west, Broadway on the east, 34th Street on the south and 35th Street on the north.
Roland Hussey Macy (August 30, 1822 - March 29, 1877) was an American businessman who founded Macy's Department Store.
Born on Nantucket Island, Massachusetts to a Quaker family. As a 15-year-old, he worked on the whaling ship, the "Emily Morgan" and had a red star tattooed on his hand that became the store's symbol. Between 1843 and 1855 Macy opened four retail dry goods stores, all of which failed. He learned from his mistakes and in 1858 opened a dry goods store at Sixth Avenue and 14th Street in New York City that became the successful American department store bearing his name.
He married Louisa Houghton (1820-1886).
Roland Macy died in 1877 and was interred in the Woodlawn Cemetery in The Bronx, New York.
Here are full texts from the labels
us_160: Old Boston Medford Rum, R. H. Macy & Co. New York
us_31: Marcy's Red Star; Gold Seal; Imported by R.H. Macy & Cia, New York; Cuban Rum; 4/5 Quart; 90 Proof; Produce of Cuba