The distillery, which operated from 1750 to 1810, includes 18 vats connected with an intricate system of wooden pipes, a still, a fireplace, a privy and the foundation of the manager's house.
The Quackenbush House is the oldest intact building still standing in the city of Albany! Built by Pieter Quackenbush during the 1730s, it was the home of Revolutionary War officer Hendrick Quackenbush.
This substantial building testifies to the success of its owners' enterprises which included brickmaking, distilling, tanning, and shipping. Located on the flood plain and along the road north out of Albany, it was described by a number of eighteenth century visitors.
Located beyond the original boundaries of the city, the Quackenbush house was technically part of Rensselaerswyck and then the town of Watervliet. In 1812, Albany's boundary line was extended northward bringing the Quackenbush house into the city of Albany.
During the twentieth century, the Quackenbush house was a gas station and restaurant. Located in the heart of "Quackenbush Square," today it is a fine restaurant and cornerstone of one of Albany's premier cultural districts!