Leider habe ich keine Etiketten:(
The main estate at Grand Bay once occupying over 1000 acres from sea to mountain top. Formerly known as 'Les Jesuites' when it was owned by members of that religious order. Later bought by a Frenchman, Anthony Bertrand, whose family had been exiled to Geneva in Switzerland, after being banished from France because they were Huguenots. The Bertrands called the place Geneva after their former home. It produced sugar, molasses and rum. In the 1820's they sold it to the Lockhart family, and in 1949 the last Lockhart heir, Norman, sold it to Elias Nassief. After disturbances in 1974, when estate buildings were burned, the government took over the estate. Geneva has a turbulent history and saw attack and arson in 1791, 1844 and 1974. It features in the literary works of author Jean Rhys, particularly in her novel "Wide Sargasso Sea" where it is called Coulibri. Now it is divided into private holding and state lands for public use.